News

Fire burns three children in Awka

Three children of same parents, Mr and Mrs Michael Anor were on Saturday night burnt in a fire incident that happened in Awka, Anambra State.

DAILY POST learnt that the fire which broke out in a residential building started in one of the flats after a can of kerosene that was at the back of a refrigerator exploded.

The fire caught the three children who were in the flat, but they were eventually rescued with varying degrees of injury by fire-fighters who put off the fire after they were alerted by neighbours.

Meanwhile, it was gathered that one of the children died on Sunday morning from the wound sustained from the fire, while the other two have been transferred to Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Teaching Hospital, Awka for treatment.

Mr Martin Agbili, the chief fire fighter in Anambra State who confirmed the fire said, “We received a distress call of fire outbreak at Brave-Heart Flats at the 1st floor of a 3-storeyed building, opposite Marian Plaza, Close to St. Joseph the Worker Catholic Church, Iyiagu Estate Awka.

“We deployed our firefighters and two fire trucks to the scene. We put off the fire, and no life was lost, but three children in the flat were burnt and were rushed to the Prime Specialist Hospital at Awka.

“The cause of the fire outbreak was a kerosene explosion which emanated from a gallon of kerosene kept at the back of a deep freezer. The building was also saved, and we conducted post-fire risk assessment of the building.”

A neighbour in the area, Johnson Obodo who spoke to DAILY POST said one of the affected children died at about 4am on Sunday. It was, however, not clear the ages of the children.

The state police spokesperson, SP Haruna Mohammed when contacted said he was not aware of the fire incident, nor the death of one of the affected children.

247gist

247gist forum No.1 paying site in Nigeria

Related Articles

112 Comments

  1. That’s bad news children of nowadays should be Very careful these days. Parents should look out for their children, the victims should be hospitalise immediately

  2. Kerosene at the back of refrigerator! Can this cause a huge fire? May God condole the family. Is kerosene that volatile?

Back to top button